Uma Pande Centenerary

Remembering Uma Pande on her Centenary

Let me start with a sketch of Maa's life.She was born in Unnao, UP, on August 26,1921. Her father Gangadhar Pant,was a lawyer and mother was Padmawati Pant.

Maa's Parents

She had one brother Lalit Mohan Pant, who was older and had joined the army.   

The child in the center is Maa

Maa lost her father early and later her brother too at a very young age in the Second World War.

She was looked after by her uncle Dr Pitamber Dutt Pant, OBE,who was a Civil Surgeon and mother, whom she and all of us called Mama.


Maa studied in a Convent in  Kanpur (then Cawnpore).

She used to play Tennis and had done a Violin course from Trinity College, London.

She used to do excellent embroidery and knitting.

She got married to Jiwan Chandra Pande, who had done Electrical and Mechanical Engineering from Banaras Hindu University. The marriage ceremony was held in the family home at Pit Kuti, Haridwar, which was later donated for running a school which is now an Inter college for girls.



She had married into a big and close-knit family. Our Dadi was very orthodox, but Maa followed all the traditional norms and took responsibility of the whole family along with our father.


She used to help out youngsters including girls who were interested in education. Even house helpers were taught by her. Most of these youngsters became well settled later in life. One of them even became a successful Industrialist.


She believed in simple living and high thinking, inspired by her own mother.

She was disciplined, organised and very kind hearted.


Sushma di is the eldest of her three children and Sudhish the youngest. She treated us all equally and although strict, never spoke to us harshly.




She doted on her five grandchildren.

Maa was in Bombay, when after a short struggle with cancer, she left us on October 26, 1998.

I am sure wherever she is, she is looking after us and showering her love and blessings. And always guiding us to do the right thing.

____________________


सुनहरी यादै

 मा के बारे मै जब भी कुछ लिखना सोचती हू,  तब एक साथ हजारौ विचार आ जाते है,क्योकि उसका व्यक्तित्व इतना सुंदर था। उसकी सोच बहुत स्पष्ट और वैसा ही उसका लेखन- मानो जैसे हो मोती  के दाने और भाषा सटीक। रोजमर्रा  के काम मे मुख्य क्या है और गौण क्या  है, और उसी दिशा मै वह काम  करती थी।

जब हम  Springfield  मै थे और  घर मै ढेर सारे बच्चे,  मा का स्नेह सबको एक समान मिलता था। उसके मुख से कटु शब्द किसी के बारे मै कभी नही सुना।

मा के जीवन चुनौतीपूर्ण था। और विपदाग्रस्त भी। उसने उन सबका संघर्ष अपनी मर्यादा मे रह कर किया और सदा विजयी रही। उसके आदर्श बहुत ऊंचे थे। मेरा सौभाग्य रहा कि वह हमेशा मुझसे सम्पर्क रखती थी और दूर सुदूर विभिन्न शहर जेसे आगरा, लखनऊ, तेजपुर और  शिमला मै आकर भरपूर स्नेह देती रही। उसकी याद आज भी प्रेरणास्रोत है।

- सुषमा



A Life of Grace & Grit: A Tribute

Aptly named, She was of the mountains-steadfast and resolute. She bore well the tragic losses of her family early in her life. It was apparent for all to see that she held a special bond with her Mother from whom doubtless she acquired a sunny outlook on life regardless of circumstances prevailing. The devout environments at home juxtaposed with convent education coalesce to produce a unique blend of maturity and modernity. 

The early years also helped develop in her a compassionate view of life. She was deeply affectionate and cared for all her children and grand-children yet made no attempt to mould them towards her ideals, as she preferred to relate to the individuality of every one. Though caring and down to earth on mundane matters, she remained detached. This unique quality enabled her to view the flotsam and jetsam of life in its correct perspective. Thus, she was never defeated by the discouraging vicissitudes of life but on the contrary, she was able to inspire others towards excelsior.

Unobtrusive, humane, courteous and correct she raised the bar too high for others to follow.

- Ashok







_____________________







- Sudhish






____________________




- Gyanlata


____________________


I remember when we were very young, our father who was called Kakka by everyone told us that mother is a special creation of God and your mother is very special.

At that age I didn't understand that because a mother is special to every child.

Maa was respected by everyone in the family and friends. She was called 'Munni didi'.

I remember when I was 15 and was going to stay in the BHU hostel for the first time, she said "You are now independent and responsible for whatever you do."

She was there for everyone who needed her.


There's one incident which I can never forget. When Sudhish was going to get married, our father was very sick ,and Maa lost her mother just twelve days before. Sudhish was to leave for the  Middle East soon. She had called me to inform about her mother, and I asked should we postpone the wedding. She said "No - you and Ranjan go to Bangalore and get Sudhish and Gyani married. The parents have three daughters and they should not have to wait indefinitely."

Another incident which I realised after Maa was gone -

I had called up Maa when Tara was conceived and before I could tell her more she said Amita, girl or boy, give the child to Rajeev Uma, as they have got everything and only thing missing is a child. This was remarkable and made me very happy, as that is what we had already decided.

She went out of her way to take care of me and my family when Tara was born.

Miss you Maa.

- Amita








____________________

Ma had a firm jaw and a steady gaze that conveyed self assurance, strength of mind, fortitude and dignity, which quickly set her apart in the eyes of all those who came to know her.

She was grounded in reality and had great practical judgment, which made people go out of their way to seek her counsel, and she was known to give what almost always proved to be very sensible advice.


She possessed a frugality and simplicity of style, balanced by generosity to others that came from a deeply caring heart. 

Finally, for me, most of all she personified gravitas, a serious engagement with all things, and a sense of responsibility, earnestness and perseverance in whatever she did.

- Ranjan










_____________________




A true pillar of support

Nani was in many ways a colossus beyond words. She truly supported and nurtured me. She was always there with encouraging words but also prompt to point out faults in her characteristic manner. She held all our families together often taking the negative energies heroically onto herself. She was resilient and strong beyond words and could be defined as the second-best scientific mind in the family behind of course Nana. She self-sacrificed all along with Nana for the complete family without any favorites. Her presence itself was beyond words. She and Nana set an example of humanism for all of us to follow. Her strength of mind and character is unparalleled. 


Our family has never been the same without her though nature fills empty spaces, she was special enough to not be forgotten as long as we exist. She is sorely missed on this day but I am sure she looking down from above smiling at us with her characteristic smile and blessing us all. 

- Vikram







_____________________

The "Word" Is Not Enough
(pun on the 1999 James Bond film - "The world is not enough")

Reminiscing about Nani on her centennial, I thought that I'd find the one word that described her best.  After a long struggle I realized that there is no one word that can describe a person as diverse and multi-faceted as her.

As a Masters degree holder and violin player she was highly intelligent and talented - well ahead of her time.  But she was also humble beyond measure and always gave those around her a sense of worth.  I always felt very comfortable and at ease in her company and felt I could talk to her about anything without feeling judged.

Nani lived and exemplified a "family first" philosophy regularly visiting us, even in far flung areas like Tezpur, Assam.  I deeply admired her magnanimity in even treating her extended family on par with her own.

Nani was incredibly well organized.  Even though she had a lot going on around her, she was never overwhelmed and always in control of the situation - projecting a sense of quiet confidence and calm.

On a lighter note, I credit Nani with turning me into someone who loves to eat vegetables. This might not sound like a big deal, unless you know what a picky eater I was as a kid and how much I despised vegetables.  She introduced me to, my then nemesis, "baigan and karela" - today they rank amongst my favourite vegetables.  So every day I sit down to eat, I remember her fondly.

Her "lead by example" lessons on how to live a purposeful life will continue to inspire me and our future generations.  While I miss her everyday, it is comforting to know that a part of her lives in me and our children.

- Aditya Joshi
















_____________________

My Nani

Nani back riding

A lot of my childhood vacations were spent in Haridwar at Nani's home in Haridwar. It is a huge property on the banks of the Ganga.  I remember it used to have its own private ghat with a mini mandir where you could give your darshan. 

At the Haridwar house with my nani


Many cups of tea and Parle-G's have been devoured at this home while reading Asterix comics with Nani doting over me.

Nana and Nani on one of the balconies of the Haridwar house

More than three quarters of the property had been donated to an all girls school. I had always been amazed how this massive, prime  property on the river banks had been given away for a noble cause. So I asked my mom about the story behind "Pit Kuti" - the Haridwar home.

Mom explained -

"Actually the property of Haridwar belonged to Maa's Tauji and father.

Education for Adult Women and Vocational training was started in 1938,by her Tauji Dr Pitamber Dutt Pant.

And after partition in it was a refuge for many families, mostly young widows with children.

The property was offered to Maa ,after Mamaji's death.  But Maa refused to take it.  She told the person who should have got it is no more. And when such good work of women education is on ,it should continue like that only."

This gesture demonstrated Nani's rock solid character - the betterment of the community and women's empowerment through girl education was more important than personal gain for her.

At the age of nine Nani went to a boarding school. In the 1930s, Nani would have been amongst very few Indian women who would have gotten a convent education. She also learnt the violin and had given exams for the Trinity College of Music, London. She used to play tennis as well. A lady far ahead of the curve at that time but yet very down to earth and humble.

She used to love her toast and also had a sweet tooth. My love for sweets has been inherited from her and my dadi, I'm sure. 

Even though I was very young - I remember her taking such good care of Nana when he had become very ill.

She was also very matter of fact and if something was on her mind - she just spoke it. When I was in my teens - I had a habit of reading Hardy Boys / Three Investigators while I was on the throne. Nani had come to stay with us and after a couple of days of noticing my long ablution times she asked me point blank - "Why are you taking so much time in there? Are you doing drugs?" I had to assure her I wasn't. :)

As other stories have no doubt demonstrated - she used to place family above everything else. A story that my mom shared with me about Nani was as follows -

"In 60s our father used to travel to foreign countries for work. Once they were given a choice that wife's could join them and for that they had to pay Rs. 5000/-. It was a huge amount but feasible. When Kakka ji asked Maa ,she said with this money I can take care of so many things for the family. It was her selfless love for the family."

Even in her last days when she was suffering from stomach cancer and was in incredible pain - she almost never let her severe pain and discomfort be known to others - she had such a strong will. In fact, she was concerned that she was causing a strain on others - even then. Till the end - she remained more concerned for others than herself.

Everyone misses you Nani and I hope that today on your 100th birthday - Ija and you are having a grand party!

Love you,
- Anshul









_____________________





My Dadi My Roomie

Dadi amma as I used to call her was my roomie for quite some time. I remember how while tucking me into bed she used to listen to my jibber jabber about how my day went. 

She’s the one who got me hooked to the most deadly drink ever… “The Panchamrit” every Purnima I would eagerly wait to have the kasar and panchamrit that dadi would make and then have the lion’s share of it after the Pooja. I think I’ve inherited my Dadi’s sweet tooth and her love for chocolates and the yummies. 

Dadi was a lady way ahead of her times. In fact come to think of it, I think it’s safe to say she was way ahead of many people today as well. Practical and real was her approach towards everything. She always encouraged everyone to try things and explore their potential.

- Bhakti









_________________

With Anil & Sudhish
 

At Anil & Renu's wedding.




शादी के बाद अनिल ने मुझे बताया कि जिन्हें मैं मां बुलाता हूं  वे मेरी ताई जी हैंऔर मम्मी मेरी मां है पर अधिकतर मैं अपनी ताई जी के साथ ही रहा हूं इसलिए मेरा उनसे बहुत अधिक लगाव है । वे भी मुझे  बहुत अधिक प्यार करती हैं । मुझे कभी ऐसा नहीं लगा कि मैंने उनकी कोख से जन्म नही लिया है । बचपन से ही उन्होंने मेरी  सब इच्छाएं पूरी की हैं।  आज भी मैं उनसे  अपने मन की हर बात कहता हूं ।  यही कारण था कि मां को मैं भी बहुत मानती थी और अपनी हर समस्या का समाधान उनसे ही पूछती थी । मुझे भी उनसे बहुत प्यार मिला। एक बार दो दिन के लिए मेरे पास रहने आईं और मेरी गृहस्थी देखकर बहुत खुश हुईं ।

उनका आशीर्वाद सदा बना रहे यही कामना है ।

- Renu




_______________________



Portraits by Neha Pande

_________________

w. Mimi Bubbu





_________________

प्रिय अमिता,


'मामा मामी' शब्दों से ननिहाल की यादें ताजा हो जाती हैं। मामी- जिन्हें मैं बचपन मे मोटी मामी कहती थी, उनमें उतना ही भरपूर प्यार दुलार भरा था। उन्होँने कभी गुस्सा नही करा, ना ही उँची आवाज, पर नजरो के अनुशासन ने कभी कुछ गलत भी नही होने दिया। मैं तो भाग्यशाली हूँ जो शादी के बाद भी दिल्ली में उन्के पड़ोस में रहने का मौका मिला। मेरी हर समस्या का समाधान उनके पास होता था। उनसे बहुत कुछ सीखने को मिला। कैसे परिवार को सहेज कर रखना होता है। उनके इसी गुण से वो सब की प्यारी थी। आज तक एक भी दिन ऐसा नहीं जाता जब मैं उन्हें याद नही करती। आज उनकी शताब्दी में उन्हें शत शत नमन 🙏

प्रिय भांजी,
रेखा 


_________________


Bari buaji,Maa, Kusum di, Jagdish Jijaji 19 May 1964


मामी को शत् शत् नमन।

हमारा ननिहाल तो वहीं थीं।

सबकी प्यारी, सबका ख्याल रखने वाली "Godmother"

एक बार फिर उनको शत् शत् नमन।

- Kusum

_________________


This is my tribute to my favorite Mami, on her 100th Birth anniversary. My favorite Mami was a gracious, charming, benevolent and considerate person. She was exceptionally talented and was way above her contemporaries. I have a few memories associated with her. 

At Arun Pande's Wedding

The first one that I distinctly remember dates back to 1960. We were in Delhi and Mami had come to Delhi to attend a function. A day before her departure she announced that we (Self and Ashok) are going with her to Churk (a place in UP where my Mama was posted) to spend 2 weeks with them. I vividly remember the kind of affection and love she bestowed on us during those vacations. Almost, every day we were treated with our favorite dishes and told a story or anecdote to keep us entertained. 

The next association with her was for a relatively longer period from 1965/66 to 1970/71 when our Mama got posted in Delhi. She used to visit us regularly and particularly on occasions of Birthdays, success in exams etc. she would make it a point to personally congratulate us and occasionally reward us. Those days I used to participate sometime in debates or sporting activities and Mami was the only person who would make it a point to wish me “good luck” on such occasions. It was unbelievable that she could remember dates of such occasions when I might have uttered the dates of such occasions in my normal talks with her. 

My last association with her, lasting for a few years, was in Mumbai when she had shifted to Mumbai to stay with my cousin Sudhish (her son) and later on with Amita (her daughter). I used to visit her quite regularly and talk to her on various topics and seek her blessings.

She passed away in 1998 in Mumbai and I still have regrets that I could not be with her in her last few days as I was out of Mumbai on company work.

On her 100th Birth anniversary, I humbly bow and pay my deepest gratitude to her. 

- Arun






_________________


At Ashok's Janeu in Delhi


- Ashok

_________________

मामीजी के बारेमे सोचते ही एक शांत मुस्कराहट पूर्ण तेजस्वी चेहरा मेरी आँखों के प्रत्यक्ष उभर आता है.

उनका प्यार से संवाद करने का अपना तरीका हर एक के दिल को छू लेता था.

मामी  जी को मेरा शत शत प्रणाम .

मामीजी का एक संस्मरण हमेशा मेरे मन में उभर कर आता है और उनकी ओर नतमस्तक होती  हूँ.

यह उन दिनों की बात है जब पूज्य मामीजी दीदीजी के घर मुम्बई आयी थी,उनसे मेरी इजा ने विनती की के वे उनके घर अवश्य पधारे.

एक दिन दीदीजी उन्हें ले  कर  इजा  के घर   आयी.मै उन दिनों मुम्बई में थी,कुछ खान पान के पश्चात जब दीदीजी और मामीजी लौटने के लिए खड़े हुए तो मेरी इजा  ,  रीती  के अनुसार  उन्हें एक लिफाफा और तोहफे देने लगी तभी मामीजी  ने मेरी इजा के जोड़े हुए हाथों को अपने हाथ में लेकर कहा कि  हमने एक दूसरे के साथ जो स्नेह के तोहफे का लेंन  देंन  किया है ,वह मेरे लिए अमूल्य है.इन तोहफों  की कोई आवश्यकता नहीं iउन्होंने मुज़से कहा प्रभा तुम्हारी इजा से मिलकर मेरा मन प्रसन्न हो गया.

वह दॄश्य आज भी मेरी दृष्टि के सामने आ जाता है.मेरी इजा हर समय उन्हें याद करती रहती थी .मेरी माँ की कुछ सुखद यादों में उनका योगदान प्रशंसनीय है.

मामीजी को मेरा दण्डवत प्रणाम.

- Prabha

_________________

Sweet Memories of our dear Mami

Soft spoken & a caring nature with an evergreen smile on her face ... what made her unique . As a child we always used to look forward to her visit or we visiting Green Park . Our Ija used to consult her on various subjects & there was a good chemistry between the two . I remember vividly Ajayda & mine thread ceremony was done together & I was disturbed as previous night someone mentioned chote wale ka mundan kar de te hein ( I was scared as getting bald not acceptable as I was in school that time ) , Mami & Ija consoled me it will not happen ... i was relieved . Also her caring nature made sure we get good ride on RSL 7223 with chandrika driving it . Last time I met her at Sudeeshda house in Juhu alongwith Ija . 

While we celebrate her 100th birthday on earth , I am sure she is smiling as usual & giving her blessings to all . 

Regards ,
Abhai









_________________

Transition from infant hood into childhood is a time in life when consciousness develops in the real sense. I too became aware of  my illustrious family as I grew up. About my grandfather Late Shri Mathura Dutt Pande , who was an eminent personality in Kumaon. Besides being a successful lawyer, he was a  social reformer, educationist and philanthropist . Among his  four sons and three daughters, each one tuned out a wonderful personality and distinguished in life in their own way. 

Among our extended family someone who influenced me the most was my aunt Smt Uma Pande . She was my uncle late Shri JC Pande’s wife. We used to  address her  as Taiji or Maa out of affection , as her motherly affection was sans bound. Educated in a convent school, her demeanour was eloquent of immense sophistication and grace . She was a virtual ocean of all beautiful values that one can possibly fathom.  In her typical no nonsense manner , she would command immense awe in all of us . She would maintain a strict mien however from within she was the most compassionate, loving and doting person I have ever come across . 

She was like a wall for the entire family , whom everyone would depend upon in times of crisis. When my father was posted in a non family station during his government job tenure , Taiji had asked my mother to stay with her along with my younger sister Anju. Me and my sister Neena had also stayed at Taiji’s  place for 3 months for two consecutive years, when our winter vacations were on. This long stay with her further revealed to us about her unconditional love for all children in the family . She personified all the beautiful human values which are otherwise  extremely rare in people across the world.             

After I lost my father in 1980 she looked after my mother , who almost forever stayed with her then onwards .I remember the days at Haridwar  when she used to wake  me up with a glass of hot milk every day. She was instrumental in getting my marriage fixed, which was solemnised from her house itself . My mother who felt vulnerable  and emotionally broken post my father’s demise ,  would depend on Taiji for almost all critical and humble issues. She used to say that “ sab kuch Didi ne kiya “! ( everything was done by my Taiji). My wife Neelam who was new to the household , was also given immense love and support by  Taiji. Till date she gets emotionally overwhelmed while talking about Taiji. 

Although volumes can be written about her , but in a nut shell I would say that Taiji was an embodiment of pure love, and motherhood, and we were very fortunate to have had her in our lives.

- Neeraj Pande







_________________



23 November 1976. Neena Sunil's wedding at Haldwani

Some people and memories stay with us forever. I will always cherish the beautiful memories of my childhood years with dearest Taiji.

I distinctly remember our winter holiday visits to Delhi and Calcutta, which I eagerly used to look forward to. As a child, I was shy by nature and I remember Kakka and Taiji always encouraging me to interact more with others. We are shaped by the inspirations of our elders and I am grateful for their role in shaping my personality.

Taiji’s strong presence, alongside Kakka, was a true pillar of support for us as children and for the whole family. I feel blessed that we were nurtured under her love, care, and warmth. I thank Sushma Diddi, Ameeta Diddi, and Sudhish Dadda for their love and affection and for the opportunity to share my thoughts about Taiji.

- Neena Pande


_________________




Rememberance

I must have been around four years of age, when I had the opportunity of spending a few years with her. Mummy and I lived with her in Patna & Kolkata for about two or three years. Though she was my Taiji, I always addressed her as Ma. My first and foremost education was under Ma’s guidance when she taught me the three ‘R’s. Under her supervision, I came to have a fairly good idea of all the subjects. She would be strict with me, but at the same time pampered me.

Time flew; I began my studies and went to school. Occasionally I, along with mummy, daddy, bhaiyya and Neena, would visit her in Delhi. Again, when I began my college I, along with mummy, often spent my summer vacations with Ma in Haridwar. She would always encourage me. My visits with her to Har ki Pauri,  Ganga Arti, Mansa Devi temple were always something to look forward to. 

Ma and Kakka (Tauji) always encouraged me. When with them, as a child, I often used to accompany them wherever they went; I would always be introduced to their guests and acquaintances. This gave me a sense of importance. Later, when I was away, in the university, Ma would send encouraging letters and they always brought cheer to me.

I then got married. 

Many years later I, along with Brajesh and Divya, once visited Mumbai. Those were indeed precious moments. She welcomed us with open arms. While introducing me to her maid she said "Dekho meri sab se chhoti beti aai hai." I was overwhelmed. Tears of joy filled my eyes. She did everything possible to make us feel comfortable. After two days we bade goodbye and returned home. Little did I know that it would be the last time I would be meeting her. How I wish I had the opportunity  of spending some more time with her.

Ma would always make us feel at home, whether it be in Delhi or Haridwar and always showered us with affection. May God be with her, wherever she may be.

- Anjana 

_________________


Ma was an extremely dignified lady who left a lasting impression on you. Her presence and personality had a calming effect on people around her. She was loving, wise, dependable and someone who would give you sound advice.

A rock to her family,  Ma remained unfazed in the most trying situation. A loving mother , wife and grandmother, I remember her with deep respect and love on her centenary.

Love
- Rita
















_________________

She will always live in my heart as Bua ji & as  someone who held a special place in the hearts of my parents as their "dear Munni Didi". Indeed our entire family is blessed to have known such a pure soul. I am too small in stature to start writing about Bua Ji. I definitely would  need more lifetimes to live up to her stature & be able to even write about her. This is just a small tribute to her with my limited understanding.  She was sent to be educated in a convent at a time when girls were not allowed to go to school. Her education & upbringing was clearly visible in her dignified personality. I really don’t have words to express what a gentle & soft natured person she was. She was humble yet strong. Each word from her tongue represented her determination and discipline.  

To all children who came for her delicious food, She filled their stomach and filled their hearts.

I never called her Mum, at least not out loud, but never doubted the love she was showed

I loved her insights on life & the lessons she taught to me which was worth learning & knowing.

She was the only motivational mentor for me so far my studies are concerned.

She was an inspiration, not only for me, but I am sure for the entire younger generation.

I still remember when she used to speak everyone loved to listen her.

This is a small yet incomplete tribute to her because a lot has been said about Buaji by my parents. I only have expressed my feeling for her and experience with her.

I would also like to mention that Bua Ji has left a remarkable legacy here on earth and She will be loved by all of us in the family who believe they are privileged to live & learn from such a aristocratic personality. 

I am so grateful that some day I will see her again and will spend eternity with her.🙏🏻🙏🏻

- Rina Pant, Bhimtal










___________________

- Kakubha






___________________

At Diwakar's wedding












- Haribha


_________________


- Pramod Da


उमा चाची का हंसता चेहरा आंखों के सामने रहता है मेरी मां की वह मार्ग दर्शक थी गुणों की खान थी परिवार को कैसे प्यार से एक साथ सुख दुख में साथ रक्खा  यह तो सभी जानते हैं  मौसी को सादर प्रणाम🙏🙏

- Kalpana

_________________

"मेरी प्यारी मुन्नी दीदी

स्वर्गीय श्रीमती उमा पांडे की शताब्दी जयंती पर चिरस्मरणीय मैत्री संबंधों को अपने उद्गार प्रकट करते हुए सादर श्रद्धा सुमन अर्पित करती हूं।

उमा जी,योग्य, सुंदर, मृदुभाषी,शालीन, सहृदय,सहज प्र कृति स्वाभाविक गुणों से भरपूर महिला थीं।जीवन भर हर क्षण दुःख सुख में उन्होंने हमारा साथ निभाया।

मैंने उनसे बड़ी बहन का असीम स्नेह प्राप्त किया और उनके जीवन से प्रेरणा लेकर बहुत कुछ सीखा ‌।

ईश्वर से प्रार्थना करती हूं कि उनकी आत्मा को शांति प्रदान करे और उनके आशीर्वाद से प्रिय सुषमा, प्रिय अमिता, प्यारे सुधीश का परिवार फूले फले।

श्रृद्धा सुमन के साथ

राजरानी खन्ना (नीरा भसीन)"







_________________


विचार

मैं आज अपने को भाग्यशाली समझ रहा हूं कि मुझे अपनी बहन स्व मुन्नी दीदी (उमा पांडे) के जीवन संबंध में अपने विचार प्रकट करने का सौभाग्य प्राप्त हुआ है। जिनकी जन्म शताब्दी इसी माह संपन्न होने जा रही है।
मुन्नी जी का जन्म उन्नाव में हुआ। दुर्भाग्यवश उनके पिता का स्वर्गवास,जब वह मात्र 6 माह की थीं हो गया। उनके चाचा वो ताऊ जी ने उनका पालन-पोषण किया।
उस जमाने में उनकी शिक्षा Convent में हुई।
उनका विवाह जीवन चन्द्र पांडे जी से हुआ,जो कि एक इंजीनियर थे। उमा जी वो जीवन जी के तीन बच्चे हैं। सुषमा, अमिता वो सुधीश।चुर्क सिमेंट फैक्ट्री के मुख्य अभियंता रहे जीवन जी,जो सरकारी पहली सिमेंट फैक्ट्री थी।
हरिद्वार पीतकुटी , जहां आज महिलाओं के लिए इंटर कालेज है,वह पीत कुटी मुन्नी दी का मायका था।वह अक्सर वहां आकर अपनी मां के साथ आकर रहतीं।
ये भवन लगभग ६० वर्ष पूर्व नगर पालिका को विद्यालय संचालित करने को दिया गया था।एक हिस्से में मुन्नी दी की माता जी रहती थीं, जिन्हें सब मामा कहते थे। उन्हीं से उन्हें अच्छे संस्कार मिले। मुन्नी दी को गंगा से अगाध प्रेम था।वह सपरिवार आकर वहां रहतीं।
उनका समय रामायण,गीता आदि धार्मिक पुस्तकें पढ़ने में व्यतीत होता। परन्तु शाम के समय रोजाना मेरे घर कुछ समय के लिए अवश्य आतीं।
मेरी स्व माता सोमा,मेरी स्व पत्नी इंद्रा व पुत्र सोनू(अनुराग)से बहुत स्नेह था। सायंकाल सोनू हाथ पकड़ कर उन्हें सेवा सदन तक छोड़ने जाता। उनका बालक पर बहुत प्यार था।
कहते हैं काल किसी को नहीं बख्शा। ईश्वर में भक्ति व विश्वास रखने वाली मूर्ति का निधन 26-10-1998 को हो गया और‌ वह स्वर्ग सिधार ‌गईं। मेरी परम पिता से यही प्रार्थना है कि ऐसी महान आत्मा , स्वर्ग में स्थान बनाये रखें तथा सम्पूर्ण परिवार उनके द्वारा सुझाए ग्रे मार्ग पर अग्रसर रहे।

वेद भाई

यही मेरी उनकी सौ वर्ष जन्मशताब्दी पर मेरी सच्ची श्रद्धांजलि है।
अंत में प्र भु से प्रार्थना है कि उनका परिवार उनके आशीर्वाद से सुखी संपन्न व दीर्घायु हो।

______________________

Maa with Krishna Venkat Narayan


Uma Pande -- my late wife, Krishna and I knew her for decades and addressed her always

only as Mrs Pande. Though I was younger, I do not recall her ever addressing me by my name.

She used to gently come up to hearing distance and start speaking to me. She always addressed

my wife as Krishnaji though the latter was much younger. I mention the foregoing to convey

how benign, courteous and considerate Mrs Pande was. Our families met sometime in the early

Sixties. At that time my family consisted of only my wife and myself.

We always thought that Mrs Pande was our great benefactor in our family as it grew. Not only

were we in touch as years rolled by, but our younger generation also did so. When our second

baby arrived while we were in Delhi, it was Mrs Pande who took tender care of the mother and

child, in her house for several weeks. Did I make a request to her to do so? No! She decided

when she found that it would be in the best interest of the mother and child and, therefore, of

me too.

Mrs Pande had several attributes not frequently one comes by these days. She never spoke

about a third person in conversations. Soft spoken, she offered opinions only if asked.

Belonging to a fine family, she carried her onerous responsibilities largely in silence and with a

smile. There was firmness and resoluteness in her but not easily visible. Property, money and

the like were never in her calculus. Within her extended family she was generous and readily

available with her time and assistance. As she aged she led a more and more simple life. She

was a great wife, a great mother, a great friend and a Dharmic soul.

Though Krishna, my wife, is no more amidst us I know she would not only vouch for everything I

have said above but add much more to it. Both of us held Mrs Pande in great regard and

affection.

August 2, 2021

R.Venkatanarayanan














_____________________________


Though I met Ma only on a handful occasions, I was impressed by her graceful, dignified and serene personality. That she was kind, caring and selfless is apparent from the tributes paid to her by others. She obviously touched the lives of many relatives, friends and acquaintances in a positive way.

To be loved and respected in life and to be remembered with affection even so many years later is a mark of life successfully lived.

- Rajeev Joshi

_____________________________

 मुन्नी दीदी                    

'मुन्नी दीदी' शब्द कानों से टकराते ही सलोने बचपन की छवि चल चित्र समान मानस पटल पर  दौड़ गई । " मुन्नी दीदी" स्मरण करते ही एक शान्त - सौम्य मुखाकृति , वात्सल्य मय नैत्र व मधुर मुस्कान के साथ एक निश्छल व्यक्तित्व की सुरक्षित प्यारी गोदी में अपने को महसूस कर मुन्नी दी के अपनत्व की गरिमा को साकार ‌होते देखती हूं , उन्हें अपने समीप पाती हूं ।    शहर कोई भी हो , स्थान कोई भी हो , घर हो ,बाहर हो या नदी  किनारे की पिकनिक हो जब - जब मैं अपने पैर की कमज़ोरी के कारण हताश ,निराश व बेबस हुई  ' दीदी' ने हमेशा मेरे आत्म विश्वास को बढ़ाया था  , आज भी उनके कहे वो शब्द मेरे कानों में गुंजायमान हो जाते हैं जब - जब मैं हताश हो जाती हूं ----" ऊषा कुछ नहीं हुआ है , उठो बढ़ो तुम कर सकती हो " । यह वाक्य कल भी मुझे शक्ति प्रदान करता था और आज भी ।       मुन्नी दीदी आप सदा मेरे पास व मेरे साथ हो 

-ऊषा



___________________________

तू बागबान है जीवन की

सब पर खुशियां बिखराती है।

फूल महक लेते तुझसे

क्योंकि तू मां कहलाती है।

हाँ यही है माँ। जिसके जीवन में ये इक लंबी अवधि तक रही वो  सौभाग्यशाली है। मुझसे पूछो बिछड़ने का गम जिसने 10  साल की उम्र में उसे खो दिया था। बचपना तो अधूरा ही रहा।

सुधीश तुम किस्मत वाले हो कि माँ का प्यार और साथ लंबा रहा। वो भी ऐसी जननी जिसने हर मोड़ पर तुम्हें संवारा जीने का उचित मार्गदर्शन दिया एक स्तंभ बनकर सहारा दिया। प्यार दिया पर कुप्रेम नहीँ किया। तभी तो तुम उस ऊँचाई पर ठहरे हो जहाँ माँ ने तुम्हें पहुंचा कर अपने को धन्य समझा।

उमा चाची आप जैसी माँ को शत शत नमन। मेरे ये श्रद्धा-सुमन आपको अर्पित हैं।

- Nandita


_____________________


I think it was only on Anshul’s first birthday that l really become aware of how deep Ma’s affection for Mausi was. We were in Mumbai for our annual winter jaunt, and were invited for his party. Chhoti Bua looked doubtfully at Ma and said “ Rama, it’s two floors up, and there’s no lift, do you really think you can….?”( Ma used to have second thoughts about climbing up even ONE flight of stairs!) And Ma gave her such a dirty look and said “MUNNI ke GRANDSON ki birthday hai , aur ME nahin jaaungi?!!!!!”So she huffed and puffed her way up, and was so, so THRILLED to see Amita holding Anshul in her arms 😊😊

When we moved to Mumbai, l got to know Mausi a little better. I remember her always smiling gently, always welcoming, warm and serene. She would sit and talk about days long gone, when she and Ma had had such fun together , carefree times, and tell the funniest incidents with a perfectly straight face 😂😂

I wish we had spent more time together, that I’d known her more closely, learnt more from her , but somehow life was such a run- run affair then, too many things to do and not enough time….And now all that remains are fond memories, and a warm glow in the heart whenever l think of her.

Happy  Birthday, dearest Mausi - I’m sure you’ve got a big bash planned with all your friends! Have fun, and enjoy yourselves, and send us a few crumbs of your love and blessings 🙏🙏🙏💐💐

Lots of love,

- Shobhana


___________________________


मांजी को पत्र

आदरणीय मांजी,आपसे मिले बरसों हो गये,फिर भी आप हमारी यादों में बसी हैं।
1986 में जब पहली बार आपसे मिला, आपसे मिलकर ऐसा लगा कि मुझे दूसरी मां मिल गई है।फिर ये रिश्ता बढ़ता ही गया।
मेरी अंग्रेजी कमजोर थी,तब आपने मुझे पढ़ा कर मेरा हौसला बढ़ाया।
जब बड़े भाई सपरिवार विदेश यात्रा पर गये,और मैं आपके साथ रहा,तो आपको और अच्छे से जाना।और उस समय की बहुत अच्छी यादें हैं मेरे पास।
आपको जब कैंसर हो गया,तब भी आपने किसी को यह महसूस नहीं होने दिया कि आपको कितना कष्ट है,यह कोई साहसी स्त्री ही कर सकती है।और 1998 में जब आप हम सबको छोड़कर चली गईं,तो आसमान टूट पड़ा हो ऐसा महसूस हुआ।
इस 26तारीख को आपकी जन्म शताब्दी है।आप हमारे साथ नहीं,पर आपकी यादें और आपका मार्गदर्शन सदा हमारे साथ रहेगा।
आप जहां भी हैं , ईश्वर आपकी आत्मा को शांति प्रदान करे।

सदैव ऋणी
शिवराम सावंत

_____________________

26अगस्त की माता जी की जन्म शताब्दी है।मेरा उन्हें नमन।

मैं माता जी के साथ लगभग ग्यारह वर्ष रहा।सीधा गांव से आया था, बच्चा था,समझ नहीं थी,तो माता जी को काफी परेशान करता,बात बात पर नाराज़ हो जाता।

पर माता जी के प्यार व सहनशीलता ने मुझे पटरी पर ला दिया।

मुझे घर के सब काम सिखाते।खाली समय में मुझे पढ़ाती लिखाती भी थीं।उनका कहना था,सारी जिंदगी में भनपान करके मत बिताना,कुछ बनो।

उन्होंने मुझे गाड़ी चलाना भी सिखवाया।

घर के नौकर चाकरों को बच्चों की तरह प्यार करती थीं।

बहुत दयावान,सहनशील थीं। बहुत अच्छी गृहणी थी।कोई भी भूखा उनके दरवाजे से भूखा नहीं जाता।

उन्हीं की बदौलत मेरी नौकरी लगी,और उन्हीं के आशीर्वाद से मेरे दिन बदल गये।

मेरा कोटि-कोटि नमन 🙏

हीरा सिंह



Comments

  1. अति उत्तम प्रस्तुति

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hats off Amita What a beautiful way of celebrating Mausi's life with all the members of her huge family

    ReplyDelete
  3. Comments from people unable to post here -

    🙏🏽🪔 For Ma 🪔🙏🏽

    Thinking of Ma with heartfelt gratitude and admiration.
    Ma always showered affection whenever we met and left me feeling blessed.
    - Uma Joshi

    The soul is neither born, nor does it ever die; nor having once existed, does it ever cease to be.
    - Gita 2/20 -
    🪔🙏🏽🪔🙏🏽🪔🙏🏽🪔🙏🏽🪔🙏🏽🪔

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog